Yes I know, I am over reacting to the Oscar fiasco, but it has been coming for awhile. Last night, like an idiot, I stayed up for the sole reason to see “La La Land” win 7 Academy Awards. Yes you guessed it, 7 is my favorite number.
My birthday is on June 7th, Mickey Mantle wore 7, there were 7 original Astronauts, 7 days are in a week (hey I’m not even using the world was created in 7 days thing) , 7 deadly sins (okay that’s a bad thing), 7 wonders of the world (yes a bit outdated but historical), 7 hills in Rome (sure I’m stretching a bit now), 7th son of a 7th son & 7 is a lucky number (nice finish you have to admit).
So anything 7 is cool and having your favorite movie win 7 Academy Awards would be amazing and easy to remember for future arguments. Let’s review; “La La Land” is a once in a generation movie and had already won 7 Golden Globes and was nominated for 14 (2 X 7) Academy Awards. If you are a guy, you could score some amazing points in your relationship if you bring your gal to see “La La Land”. Make it dinner and a movie. Remember that concept? Plus you will love the movie, it has great dancing, great songs, funny scenes and Emma Stone. And your gal will appreciate watching Ryan Gosling and John Legend sing, dance and play piano.
But the losers at Price Waterhouse Cooper and the Academy screwed up everything. The producers of “Moonlight” got their moment destroyed and the producers of “La La Land” were embarrassed beyond repair. It was like seeing a replay official in football take away the winning touchdown (there’s one I forgot, 7 points for a TD & Ex.Pt.) in the Super Bowl. But to be clear I am mad most about the 7 thing. It was all set up and they actually announced it. Are you kidding me?
Finally to Explain my over-reaction, here are my 7 Reasons – Why I Now Officially Hate All Award Shows:
1) The Shows are More about Promotion than Awarding. Washed up Musicians, Actors or Athletes just want to get Air time on Television.
2) The Women’s Gowns make me Nervous. You know what I am talking about.
3) Too Many Thank-You’s. This makes me uncomfortable because you know they are leaving out someone. Suggestion – All Nominees should submit Thank You Lists ahead of time, then put them on the Screen while they give a speech.
4) The Hosts do Ridiculous, Over-Produced, Opening acts. What happen to Johnny Carson just doing a monologue?
5) The Shows are Too Long and Have More Commercials than Usual. This supports my first reason.
6) My Favorite Nominee Rarely Wins. We now know that all Elections are Rigged.
7) Acceptance Speeches should be Sweet and to the Point. Otherwise they better be amazing. They just won a made-up award, not cured cancer.